Monday, January 16, 2012

Dear Betty Woodman...

... I stumbled upon the PBS special regarding your daughter Francesca.She certainly is a "Light" isn't she?Even so, when I saw your own works represented, for me they were like food...sometimes art strikes me oddly: as a thing that simultaneously consumes one, while one is consuming it.It is a glorious, ecstatic cycle that goes on and on.Like you, I am a mom.My heart thrills (and winces sometimes) at the fact that I have managed to raise glorious creative children. Each one entirely different in their bents and yet each one entirely amazing to me. Even the ones who are poets! ;o)When looking at the greatness of humanity, it is not necessarily those who have risen to great wealth and power in the tangible sense, who make global impacts, but it is those who are able to show heart, and love, compassion and humour; it is THOSE who are able to count themselves rich - perhaps not in gold or land - but in the company of friends, and of their creative encouragements to their fellow man on this journey toward God.As I look upon my own, I think of you, and I relish my own kids accomplishments, not merely in what they have done, but mostly in who they have managed to become so far.I could die today and be happy in that God has/is making them who they are supposed to be in HIS perfect plan/thingie/whatever.While I am not related to Betty Woodman in any way shape or form, I think of her as a sister in art - and yet to say such a thing, even in print, is to feel far too pompous on my part.See her works HERE, and read about her HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment